Saturday, March 29, 2008

untitled

I wanted to talk about the MUSE concert by the ACJC Concert Band at the Esplanade. But never had the time. lol.

School ended rather early on Monday, I think it was 3.50pm. I went to the school library and did my tutorials to kill time. The concert was at 7.30, to go all the way back to Kovan and then to City Hall would be quite tiring. Hence I chose to remain in school.

It started to rain, to my dismay. I prayed hard that the rain would subside by 6.15.
Unfortunately, it only got heavier. I was stuck in school without an umbrella. And I was supposed to meet Hillary and Jacqueline at City Hall MRT.

So what to do? Just go for it. Walk in the rain.

It didn't help that the zebra crossing directly outside the school was under construction. Or renovation, whichever. I don't see why they had to do that. I had to walk to the traffic light. That damn thing took forever to change colour. Thus I had to soak myself there. I had to use my AC file to protect my knee also, since I fell down that morning and my knee was hurting like crazy. Picture me standing there trying to seek shelter under the pathetic traffic light which was absolutely pointless, and holding my file at my thigh. It felt like crap.

Then three guys walked over to the traffic light. Two were sharing an umbrella, the other had one guy to himself. How I envied them. (I deliberately took out the umbrella from my bag in the morning cos' I thought it wouldn't rain. stupid la I shouldn't have done that)

Then he offered to share his umbrella!! My life was saved, I didn't have to continue standing in the rain like some idiot rushing for time. Haha. His friends were like "wah since when you so gentleman?"
Anyway what matters was I was at least partially sheltered until the bus stop, then I thanked him and ran up the bus, shivering.

When I reached the MRT station (which was only one bus stop away), I went to the toilet to dry myself.. I saw my reflection in the mirror.

Yikes, I was THAT drenched. Why did AC's uniform have to be WHITE and blue?!?!

I dried my hair and uniform under the hand dryer. One lady walked in, she must have thought I was mad. Using the hand dryer to dry myself. But I felt much better after that. A lot less chilly too. Imagine how many stares I would have gotten if I, looking like a luo tang ji, boarded the train full of commuters?

I was early for once. Hill and Jac arrived later than I did. *clap clap* If you know me well enough... I'm usually the one who's late =P I didn't have to wait very long for them to make their appearance. Then we walked the oh-so-familiar route to the Esplanade and then to the concert hall.

The emcee was like ???? . Sure, she was nervous, but she made wayyy too many mistakes in her pronunciation and fumbled many times. Her dress was a bit short also. I was wondering who the lucky person sitting right in front of the stage where she was standing. I looked. And I saw ... of all people -.-

Guest bands for this concert were ACS (Barker Road) and ACS(I). The barker band's performance was really disappointing. ACS(I), on the other hand, was comparable to ACJC's. I daresay the stole the limelight. The percussion was just awesome, I never took so much notice of the percussion section before. The band's soloists showcased their virtuosity in their solo parts of the pieces. It was impressive.

I don't have much to say about ACJ's band, they're supposed to be good! World class! K la they were good.. Gerdine was good. I spotted her in the flute section, then playing a solo on the piccolo. =D Being a music student (previously), I put my music analysis skills to work. It just comes naturally now. Tell me why I love concerts like this.

The concert ended in a unique manner. It was a combined performance by all 3 bands. Never in my life have I seen THAT many clarinetists. They took up more than one row, you see. The combined band played ASIAN music which was what made the performance unique. Familiar tunes were played... when the woodwinds played a Sakura excerpt I started to think of how we played that on handbells too. (I miss pl handbells so badly) and how SC handbells got their gold with honours with that simple song, which set tongues wagging.




You know, once in a while, you friends have problems and they turn to you, they share them with you. That's normal.

Suddenly seeing the weak side of your OGL is another thing altogether...
But you must bear in mind that, like yourself, they're humans too..

No comments: