Wednesday, February 04, 2009

ugly Singaporeans

I was rushing for piano lesson today, after hanging around the badminton hall with Irvin and Brian (Daryl was there too!). We were going to set up the tables for cca exhibition. Anyway.

I reached Outram Park at around 5.35pm. Was unable to find an empty seat, much to my disappointment. I was among the pre-peak hour crowd, you see. Naturally, people (mainly aunties) would rush for empty seats as soon as they spot one. Welcome to the ugly side of Singaporeans.


The train arrives at the platform.

Passengers waiting to board gather around the doors.

Doors open. Those outside the train close in and board the train hurriedly, without allowing other passengers to alight first. Ugh.

Being a student, I am supposedly more fit and able to stand for long periods of time. Hence I stand when there are no available seats.

(When there is one, I look around to make sure there's no elderly or pregnant woman or anyone else who's more in need of the seat, before settling in it. Duh.)

Next station. Doors open.

Old lady/man walks in. Sitting passengers are either sleeping, reading, or simply staring into space. (sometimes you can't help sleeping when you're really tired out. just don't pretend to sleep. then again, i wouldn't know if someone's really asleep or feigning it right?) Nobody stands up to give up his/her seat.

SMRT and SBS did come up with ideas hoping that these poor ol' souls can rest their feet and save their energy instead of exerting them all at one go simply by standing and trying to maintain their balance.

"Priority seats" are supposedly reserved for these people who are in need of them. It's sad that the management had to even resort to reserving seats. People are expected to give their seats up when there is a need to do so, it's an unspoken rule which, sadly, is gradually making its exit from this society. Even with "priority seats", (normal, healthy) people sitting on them still "take no notice" of who needs it more when someone handicapped or old or pregnant stands right before their diva eyes. I am truly disgusted by this.

Today, I saw a tourist willingly give up his seat in the train for an old lady. Everyone else just sat transfixed.

Now what does that say about Singaporeans in general? What impression did it leave on that tourist and his friends?

I saw the tourist glance around to see if anyone bothered to leave their thrones for someone else. Then he decided to just do it himself. Watching the whole scene unfold made me feel ashamed (I was standing, by the way).

Before the few tourists left the train, they exchanged comments about Singaporeans softly among themselves. I managed to catch some words like "sleepy", and "too busy making money". So, Singaporeans work so hard to earn money (money-minded) each day, they're so tired that they knock out the moment their butt touches the seat, oblivious to their surroundings. That's my inference.

Then of course there'll be an arguement to support the above point that society puts too much pressure on their work life where everyone is competing to be the best. As for now, they're competing to retain their jobs. Am I not correct? Still... gives them no reason to be so unglam, like rushing into the train without allowing others to alight, and being indifferent when someone who NEEDS to sit down comes into sight.

I am careful myself. But I admit that I only give up my own seat after I see that no one else is going to do that. That's something I've got to work on,
At least I don't make a mad rush into the train when the doors open.

No comments: